Saturday, August 28, 2010

Camp John Marc

This morning we rose bright and early to seize the day.  We ate breakfast and when Scott finished cleaning up, it was off to the activities!

The previous afternoon Scott signed us up for the ‘ropes course.’  It sounded fun at the time, something rope-y.  It wasn’t until we were coming upon the rock wall that I understood I had been manipulated!  Instead of what I had imagined, it was really a rock wall that he had signed us up to climb!

I wanted to quit before I even started.  I wanted to quit when I started.  I wanted to quit before I finished.  But I hung in there, literally, and with Scott’s encouragement I made it through the course.


After an agonizing challenge, we walked the rest of the camp, exploring many of its activity rooms.

Soon it was lunch time and we shared in eating barbecue spare ribs (as only Texas knows how to make them), followed by cookies made from scratch.  Thanks, Margie!  All the campers placed dots on the cities from where they had come.



Our next stop was the silo.  The counselors gathered for a group picture followed by an assembly honoring 20 years of service from the counselors, specifically introducing the first-years and also recognizing the outstanding life decisions of those who followed in their footsteps.  Truly, it was a camp built by faith and love.

Soon we were on our hunt to find Scott’s brick.  We wandered around, looking at the covered wagons and hammocks.  We also took a break to swim before heading to dinner.

Dinner was a delicious dish of authentic Mexican fajitas and enchiladas.  After a slice of yummy pecan pie, we all headed to the barn for basketball and cotton candy.  Sugar was being inhaled, counselors played Knock Out, babies and kids ran rampant around the arena while music sung loudly over the speakers.  The tree behind us was lit, and all was a beautiful sight to see.  Everyone was so carefree!

The best part of the evening was the fireworks.  With no city lights to lessen the glow and make blunt their colors, these were the most crisp, richly colored fireworks I have ever seen.  When the show ended, Scott and I walked back into the silo where the slideshow was still up.

Despite our extreme fatigue, we watched until we saw pictures from 1999, and then headed to bed.  As we walked, the harvest moon and diamonded sky lit our path.

The camp is surrounded by so much natural splendor, and we thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment